What is SQL?
SQL is the acronym for Structured Query Language and it is a domain-specific language used primarily in designing and programming tasks to manage data in any RDBMS i.e. relational database management system.
Alternatively, you may use SQL in any RDSMS task i.e. Relational Data Stream Management System. The language is useful to deal with structured data where you find relations between different variables or entities of the data.
Why SQL ?
1. SQL queries are useful for retrieval of records in large numbers from any database in no time and in an efficient way.
2. As an interactive language, you can use SQL to communicate with the database and in turn, get answers to various complex queries within only few seconds.
3. Standard SQL eliminates the requirement of any writing any code. Because of this, you can manage the database systems easily without writing substantial amount of programming code.
4. With the help of SQL language, users may create different views of the existing database structure to meet the requirement of different users.
5. Standard Query Language supports mainframes, online servers, tablets, PCs and laptops.
5. You can operate SQL on any local system with internet and intranet and move the database in between different devices.
6. SQL supports client-server architecture, as it connects front-end computer devices i.e. clients and back-end databases i.e. servers.
7. SQL is useful in case of three-tiered internet architecture consists of an application server, database and client computers.
8. Databases of the Standard Query Language use long-established standards adopted by ISO i.e. International Organization for Standardization and ANSI i.e. American National Standard Institutes.
Click Here -> Useful Tips from Experienced SQL Practitioners
What is PL/SQL?
PL/SQL is the abbreviated form of Procedural Language/ Structured Query Language used mainly in Oracle. With PL/SQL, any programmer writes codes in procedural formats.
Architecture of the mentioned programming language consists of engine, block and data server. Because of this, it combines SQL’s data manipulation power with the procedural language’s processing power to create any super powerful SQL query.
PL/SQL instructs the compiler about the functions to perform and the way to perform them via its procedural way. Along with this, it provides relatively higher control to programmers with the application of object-oriented concepts, loops and conditions.
Click Here -> PL/SQL Interview Questions and Answers
Why PL/SQL ?
1. One of the biggest advantages of PL/SQL is that it reduces the overall network traffic. This is because; PL/SQL constitutes a complete block of various SQL statements executing into an Oracle Engine all at the same time.
2. The mentioned procedural language comes with an outstanding functionality for displaying multiple records from multiple numbers of tables simultaneously.
3. PL/SQL acts as an excellent development tool not only to perform data manipulation, but also it accomplishes other operations. These include looping, conditional checking or branching, as you expect from any other programming language.
4. A large number of software programmer and web developers choose PL/SQL to handle errors. Reason for this is that whenever you encounter errors, the advanced version of query language deals with errors in a smart way by displaying error messages in a user-friendly way.
5. PL/SQL sends the complete block of various statements and execute them in its Oracle Engine in a spontaneous way.
6. PL/SQL provides control to various declare variables and provide them access inside the block. Declared variables are useful while you have to process any query.
7. Applications in the extended query language are of independent ones to operate in any almost every type of computer device.
8. PL/SQL possesses portable applications in almost every type of operating system.
9. Procedural Language/ Structured Query Language eliminate the use of Oracle Engine to perform calculations, because of which it allows quick and efficient calculations and in turn, boosts the overall transaction performance.
10. Procedural Language/ Structured Query Language (PL/SQL) is one of the highly secured functional tools used primarily to validate, control, manipulate and restrict any unauthorized data access from the existing SQL database.
Difference between SQL and PL/SQL
SQL is a structured query type of database language.
PL/SQL is a type of database programming language and it uses SQL.
SQL is a declarative type of language.
PL/SQL is a procedural type of language.
In case of SQL, query performs only one operation.
In case of PL/SQL, you will find blocks to perform groups of operations in one block.
Users in SQL may execute only one command or query at a particular time.
PL/SQL allows users to execute a complete block consists of codes at a particular time.
In SQL, one can use DML and DDL statements to write both queries and commands.
In PL/SQL, one can write code blocks, which contain functions, procedures, variables and packages.
You may add, modify, retrieve, manipulate or delete any data present in your database in case of SQL.
By using PL/SQL, you may create server pages or applications, which display the details you get from SQL in a specific format.
SQL interacts directly with a particular database server.
PL/SQL fails to interact with any database server.