Who is a DevOps Engineer?
Explore who is DevOps Engineer, what are the skills required and career path of DevOps Professionals.
Do you want to know who a DevOps Engineer is? They are the ones aiming at connecting a strong placement between the business and IT operations. This kind of new singularity is taking over the business assembly by the hurricane. It is easily carrying out the fresh procedures and values to update the formation and software deployment in this latest software filled era.
Now in this blog, let us research on various points: Who is DevOps Engineer, what are the factors required to become a DevOps Engineer, list of all available job opportunities and the scope of DevOps Engineer. Many believe that DevOps is much about the automation methods, code deployment, and software release. But to tell the fact, there are more than this opinion. A successful and professional DevOps Engineer must have skills both technical and non-technical concepts in an identical ration.
Roles of DevOps Engineer | Payscale | Certification
Role and Responsibilities of the DevOps Engineer
The DevOps Engineer performs the following activities:
- DevOps Engineer must recognize the fundamentals of software development languages. They should be very conversant with many development tools for new code creation or existing code updating process.
- Handle IT infrastructure according to the necessity of supported software code which is devoted to a mixture multi-tenant setting.
- Mandatory to hold the essential resources for affording and obtaining the suitable deployment method. In addition, authenticating and screening performance is required.
- DevOps Engineer must have a regular and progressive deviation in the code versions. This is to make the common testing and deployment to be possible. It is always not possible for a DevOps Engineer to perform the coding from scratch. Hence, mandatory to identify the versions.
- DevOps Engineers should unite numerous coding elements along with software development kits and libraries.
- They should be able to integrate several messaging tools or SQL data management components for operating software release with production infrastructure and operating system.
- Should have a stable foundation in the agile methodology of project management. Agile methodology aids in a nonstop repetition of software testing and development.
- Must be good in communication and cooperating with the team for successful results.
DevOps Engineer skillset
Testing drives the automation process and hence, robust testing skills are mandatory to become a successful DevOps engineer. Feature deployments or automating the scripts can be disturbing particularly when considering the outcome on end users during breakages. If testing is in the right place, engineers can be guaranteed on each functionality. From development to the deployment stage, they perform testing. This ensures the whole system is integrated with all the fresh features.
A strong DevOps engineer must be an excellent team member and benefit the team to relax from bottlenecks. They must provide the best assistance when required. A good DevOps engineer performs their work in a minor batch and allows the others to get occupied more effortlessly. Starting from code reviews to preparing acceptance tests, the team should feel comfortable with a DevOps engineer’s help.
Most importantly, the best DevOps engineer continuously cares about distributing values to clients. They will clearly recognize and count how their performance is taken into account. DevOps specialists have the full right to examine how to greatly enhance the existing process for end-to-end success.
DevOps professionals can prepare safe code to shield applications from a various outbreak. These codes protect against mutual cybersecurity liabilities. Most of the companies are moving towards DevOps and they play a major part in building secure software from the beginning. These kind of specialists are not required to be professional in security concepts, but they can help extremely to offer software security training.
I hope you all are aware that DevOps is about converting the functional work practice between the operations and development teams by splitting the silos. A DevOps engineer stands out as a bridge between silos and fetches dissimilar teams collectively to move towards a mutual goal. They shape a policy that targets on shortening the global operating environment to accomplish the unceasing delivery mission.”
Wide knowledge of tools and technologies:
DevOps landscape is continuously booming up many new tools and technologies. It would be better for a DevOps engineer to have a wide knowledge of the following technologies.
- Orchestration such as Meos, Kubernetes, Swarm
- Source Control such as Bitbucket, Git, Svn, VSTS
- Container Concepts such as Docker and LXD
- Continuous Integration such as Bamboo, Jenkins, VSTS
- Infrastructure Automation such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible
- Cloud such as Azure, AWS, OpenStack, google cloud
- Deployment Automation & Orchestration such as VSTS, Jenkins, Octopus Deploy
A DevOps engineer is always a network-aware person. The final objective of any DevOps assignment is to positively distribute an application to the end user who will consume the usages.
Experience with infrastructure automation tools:
DevOps professionals have the capability to develop and implement automation tools and technologies in any phase. Different phases handled by DevOps Engineer are gathering the requirements, development, and testing.
Career Path of DevOps Engineer
DevOps engineers are one of the uppermost salaried professionals in today’s IT field. The demand for DevOps experts is growing quickly as there are many organizations benefited with DevOps overpowering top-functionalities. There are many DevOps practitioners who primarily started their career as multilingual programmers or sysadmin coders or just with few infrastructure management knowledge. Later, they get the skill to shift themselves to testing, development, and system admin roles. Following this, it is easy to get started on studying new tools and technologies. A recent survey exposed that most of the companies are considering DevOps skills during recruitment for a successful business result.
Last words on Who is DevOps Engineer
Be clear that a DevOps engineer role is not limited to any specific position. A DevOps Engineer is otherwise called by different names: release manager, automation architect, DevOps Architect, system engineer, developer-tester, automation engineer, integration specialist, or security engineer. The only important target is performing multitask and take over as much as challenges that come from various roles. His/ her massive skills include testing, coding, developing, building, integrating, and deploying. In addition, problem-solving is the most required skill at any phase of work. In most of the organizations, DevOps is saluted and made as a philosophy.
DevOps Tutorial For Beginners
- What is DevOps?
- DevOps Tools
- DevOps Vs Agile
- DevOps Certification
- 6 Things You Must Invariably Know About DevOps